Mankato Area Public Schools
- School Age Care Program (ACES) serving K-7 students in 6 buildings
- 6′ x 12′ raised garden plot at each school
- Garden Club in each school
- Partners with District Dietician and Master Gardener Program
- Developed a nine-lesson garden curriculum
- Raised garden beds built by district carpenters
- Produce used in the school lunch program and donated
Mankato Area Public Schools have six schools that offer “ACES” Programs. ACES is a School-Age Care program for Kindergarten through 7th grade students, which is open before and after school as well as the entire summer. Students in this program are involved in their school garden program. Because there are approximately 100 students at each site they initiated a “Garden Club” where students that expressed an interest in gardening could become involved. Each site has a 4′ by 12′ raised garden bed where they grow a variety of vegetables. They have created a curriculum consisting of nine lessons on various aspects of gardening. ACES Supervisors oversee the gardens during the summer and school year with the help of the master gardeners. Site supervisors are trained on proper garden maintenance and teach these skills to the ACES students. The development of their garden program was a team effort involving the ACES Program Coordinator, the District Dietitian and Health and Safety Coordinator.
For more information contact email@example.com.