- Large 40′ x 40′ garden space
- Garden uses “evidence-based curriculum” from USDA
- Serves students in summer programs
- Partners with community organizations
- Has an edible garden, a corn nook, and 12 raised beds
- Uses the garden as a learning laboratory
- Has a chain-link fence around the garden
The vision at Vandyke Elementary School was to implement a garden program that would help contribute to the reduction of chronic illness in the younger population. They wanted to increase knowledge of the health and nutrition benefits associated with healthy eating. They hoped the garden would increase fruit and vegetable consumption by making produce easily accessible and also increase the amount of time children spend outside being physically active.